"Rationalism taken to intoxicating extremes."
This is Improbable Too
Synchronized Cows, Speedy Brain Extractors and More WTF ResearchMarc Abrahams
The mind behind the infamous Ig Nobel Prizes presents an addictive collection of improbable research all about us – and you
Marc Abrahams collects the odd, the imaginative and the brilliantly improbable. Here he turns to research on the ins and outs of the very improbable evolutionary innovation that is the human body (brain included):
• What’s the best way to get a monkey to floss regularly?
• How much dandruff do Pakistani soldiers have?
• If you add an extra henchman to your bank-robbing gang, how much more money will you ‘earn’?
• How many dimples will be found on the cheeks of 28,282 Greek children?
• Who is the Einstein of pork carcasses?
‘A detailed map of the most arcane byways down which members of the scientific community have travelled.’
‘Abrahams is doing vital work here… From this deeply improbable book, you will learn that male chess players take more risk in their play when they are playing attractive female opponents, and that British bank robbers don’t make as much money as you might think.'
"Hilarious... You'll never look at scientists in the same way again."
"Science nerds and junkies unite! Your book has arrived."
"Wonderful! The definitive compendium of quirky, jaw-dropping research."