‘Excellent… Brooks is particularly good at showing why we should be angered by all of this… Let’s hope this fine book helps redress the balance’
The Great Tax Robbery
How Britain Became a Tax Haven for Fat Cats and Big BusinessRichard Brooks
Investigative journalist and former tax-inspector Richard Brooks charts how the UK has become a global tax haven that serves the super wealthy, all with the Government’s help. Discover:
• Why thousands of British state schools and NHS hospitals are owned by shell companies based in offshore tax havens
• How British companies like Vodafone strongly influence tax laws
• Why multinationals like Google and Starbucks can operate almost tax-free in the UK
• How the taxman turns a blind eye to billions in illegally evaded tax in secret Swiss bank accounts
• How footballers like Wayne Rooney use image rights companies to reduce their tax liability
Unpicking the tangled mess of loopholes that well known multinationals, bankers, and celebrities use to circumvent tax, this is a bold manifesto for a system where we all contribute out fair share.
'Fascinating… not only does [Brooks] have a near-encyclopaedic knowledge, he also has an ear for resonant detail.'
'Important... Brooks demonstrates that financial amorality is endemic among Britain’s elite'
'This year’s indispensable book.'
'A "must read": Richard Brooks exposes the financial immorality of the rich as never before'